Monday, February 1, 2021

2021 Music Project

 So if you followed my original blog at all, you know I love to do Top 10 lists for the best psychill/psybient albums of the year. I do this because I looooove psychill. It is the most beautiful and it calms me. Last year I did the Top 20, for 2020. Now this year, it will be the Top 21 for 2021. See where this is going?

I am so very, very glad I am doing 21 and not 10 this year, because I have something to admit: This is an incredibly difficult project to undertake. The reason is that there are so MANY releases that come out every month, and I wanted to listen to EVERYTHING and start my reviews or at least write up a little blurb about it for later in the year. Always before, I would wait listen to music throughout the year, and then hurry and compile the top 10 in December. This time around, I am listening to everything as it comes out, if I am able to (I might miss stuff) and writing notes on each one. 

As a result, I have 10 albums on my "maybe" list (it's either the "maybe" list, or nothing, right now) and it's only February 1st! I won't say who I've listened to and liked enough to put on that list, but 10 out of who-knows-how-many is pretty good already. 

Someone asked me recently how I discover new music. I told him that I get it primarily from psybient.org and reddit. I frequently (everyday) comb the two of them to see what's new. Also some labels I subscribe to on bandcamp.com send me e-mails with their new releases. I don't always have the capability to obtain each album - but those ones that I don't, I definitely stream - either from Bandcamp, Youtube, or Spotify. 

I am a music junkie. I love my job because it  enables me to listen to music non-stop if I want to. I love discovering new artists and albums - new to me, I mean. The other day, I discovered an artist called Panda On The Bamboo Tree. I thought what a cool artist name! I listened to their album from 2018 and really liked it. Then I went on reddit and discovered that Panda On The Bamboo Tree came out with a new album JUST THIS WEEK. I have yet to listen, I will tomorrow I am confident. 

And I will leave you with a screenshot of my favorite artist, Astronaut Ape, thanking me for the review his album "Ten Minutes Eternity" (my #1 fav album ever) received from 2013.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line

Story of the Fox

https://open.spotify.com/album/4F3jYh4DRFpZ7WPi1IiECS?si=XO9uydObQ6W7Bi0PmM-c3g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=326drCY5j3w&list=OLAK5uy...