Friday, December 31, 2021

The Cure For Depression

I have bipolar. Part of that means I experience depression. Depression is my very least favorite type of episode (mania can be fun sometimes). You are tired all the time. You are irritable. You don't care about anything. You are sometimes sad. Sometimes you're just numb and you don't enjoy anything. You just want to sleep. Mundane tasks like showering or doing the dishes seem overwhelming. It sucks. But there's a secret I discovered that can make it all go away.
Now, let me preface this by saying I'm definitely not a scientist. I'm not a psychiatrist. I'm just a person. But I've found a way to get rid of depression. Not just for an afternoon or a day - but months (if you cycle with episodes like I do) or perhaps more.
This is going to sound absolutely insane and you'll stop reading this out of pure incredulous-ness (is that a word? My auto correct doesn't think so). But hang in there with me, it will all make sense soon.
You need to get out of bed somehow, and go for a 10 mile walk. Yes you read that right. A 10 mile walk. 
 
When we lived in Salt Lake City, we were walking from our apartment to downtown which would take 10 minutes. One day, I was depressed (numb, didn't enjoy things, "bored" all the time, unable to make myself do basic chores, etc) and we had gone to the Rose Park section of the Jordan River trail and walked 5 miles in and 5 miles back. My depression lifted when we got home. I was  suddenly talkative and laughing and feeling actual feels again. My feet were wrecked. They absolutely were in a lot of pain. The skin was red, and had blisters. The muscles were tired. The tendons were threatening to separate from the muscles. But I felt good. It was amazing. I felt fine after that for a good while.

Subsequent times we've gone on a 10 mile walk it again was not my idea and I fussed and complained. Again at the end I felt better. My feet and legs hurt but it was always worth it. 

From the Mayo Clinic, "Research on depression, anxiety and exercise shows that the psychological and physical benefits of exercise can also help improve mood and reduce anxiety." It continues on to say, "The links between depression, anxiety and exercise aren't entirely clear — but working out and other forms of physical activity can definitely ease symptoms of depression or anxiety and make you feel better. Exercise may also help keep depression and anxiety from coming back once you're feeling better."
 
My theory is that the amount of endorphins generated by walking for 10 miles is enough to knock out the depression. 
From a NIHM study about long-distance walking and depression, "the findings collectively suggested that long-distance walking may be a remedy against mental health issues" (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8345809/).
 
Now, when I am depressed, or having beginning signs of it, my mate will ask me if we need to go on a 10 mile walk. Instead of kicking and screaming, I do a quick self-assessment, to see if I do indeed need to go walk that far. If I say yes, we fill up the camel pack and head out. We walk through the neighborhood to the canal, and down to a big main street that we have to cross with caution, which after doing so, will take us past a big giant park filled with paths & ponds, and subtly moves on into a golf course, and then just becomes a regular walking path. We end up in a different city.
And of course, afterward, I feel so much BETTER at the end!
 
When we get home I sit down and have a cold bottle of either water or gatorade, or both. I rub my poor aching feet. I feel absolutely tired and fucked up. My legs ache. But my MOOD! I always feel so much better - not just better, but happy. 
 
It is super hard to get going, mind you. Walking for longer than 'from the couch to the toilet' sounds horrible. When you're depressed all you want to do is sit there staring at a wall. So getting the motivation to do this is the hard part. It helps to have someone force you to do it. And going for a 10 mile walk alone might not be as uplifting, so take my advice with a grain... but I highly recommend it.
 
Good luck out there.
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a line

Story of the Fox

https://open.spotify.com/album/4F3jYh4DRFpZ7WPi1IiECS?si=XO9uydObQ6W7Bi0PmM-c3g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=326drCY5j3w&list=OLAK5uy...